I’ll admit it, I’m not a sports fanatic and watching football hasn’t been my thing since Junior High when I was prevented from being on the team because I had a vagina. But that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate a good #SuperBowl party. I like any gathering of friends oven if it is for football or Nascar. I’d prefer a nice bonfire, birthday, or holiday get together.
What I don’t like is worrying about drunk drivers. Myself, I won’t get behind the wheel after just one. If I’m drinking, you bet I have a Designated Driver lines up, and that DD has to be sober. Some friends say I’m too wiggy about it. I have good reason to be wiggy. Here’s a few of them:
- My livelihood relies on my being able to drive – a DUI dings that
- DUI raises car insurance premiums, who can afford it.
- My ex rolled his car while drunk
- A close friend was killed recently when she gave her keys to her boyfriend, except he was a drunk as she was. He’ll be in jail for some time – not enough IMHO.
- I don’t want to die and leave behind my loved ones to pick up the pieces
- I don’t want to see anyone else get killed by a drunk
The potential consequences outweigh any benefit. But let’s not spoil the party for the folks who want to get tipsy or shitfaced (both just another way to say drunk.) Have your party, and have designated drivers, offer space to crash in a spare bed, couch or on the floor. When your guests are drinking, tale their keys are they come in and consider breaking out a breathalyzer before you hand them back (just be sure to wait at least 20 min after the last drink & remind everyone that the readings won’t hold up in court so you take no liability for them taking action based on the readings.)
A fellow blogger did some digging & research to find the best breathalzers for home use. You can read that review post here. I was amazed how much the prices came down and the reliability came up since the last time I looked (wanting to get one for the ex). Like that review says, it may be too late to have one for this year, but you can bet I’ll have one by next year.